Punks Is Hippies is a online archive for DIY punk and hard core fanzines. The following are translations from interviews first published in Swedish fanzine Skottkärrans Ande #1 from 1984. The name of this fanzine from Åkersberga, Sweden, translates as "The Spirit of the Handcart", and was made by Peter Hirseland who is more famous from political crustband legend Svart Snö. The zine included Stockholm punk scene report, Ernst and The Edsholm Rebels (E.A.T.E.R.), Moderat Likvidation, Varukers, Anti-Cimex, Riistetyt, Mob47 and more.
You can download the complete zine here:
Translation by Slobodan Burgher, PunksIsHippies."
Mob-47 from Skottkaran's Ande # 1
"Here we have then the interview with Stockholm's absolute best hard core band Mob-47, first they are going to explain how the band started etc (unusual question (1))
Mob: Ake, Jogge and Chrille started Cencur in the summer of 82, in the summer of 83 MenTis [sic] came along on vocals and then we also changed name to Mob-47.
It is Mentis who sings on the 'Hardcore attack' cassette-tape. In Feb 84 we kicked out Mentis because he was so fucking lost (2).
Current line up is: Jogge - bass & vocals
Ake - guitar & vocals
What favourite bands do you have?
Ake: Crucifix, Neos, D.R.I., Eu's Arse, MDC.
Chrille: Discharge, ChAos UK [sic], Crucifix, Varukers.
Jogge: Abrasive Wheels, GBH, Bad Brains.
What political views do you have?
ALL POLITIC IS SHIT!!!!!!!
What do you think would be the best way to achieve peace on earth?
Obviously disarmament (3). But first we must disarm the police and the military who are protecting the warsystem.
What do you think about religion then?
All religion is shit, because it is based on submission of the individual.
Religion only creates prejudice and hate (only look at Belfast and Beirut).
Who writes the lyrics & music?
A guy who is called Per Lundstrom writes most of our lyrics (4). Ake makes the music and Jogge adds something little here and there.
What is more important the lyrics or the music?
The music, but good lyrics is a plus.
What do YOU THINK about the Stockholm punk scene, that everyone says is so crap?
-Worthless, only shitbands like Aggressiv & Krixhjalters are good (says Ake).
-Too few mangel-band!!! (says Chrille)
-Och 'B' (5) (says Jogge).
How can you make it better then?
MANGEL AS HELL!!!! (6)
If we can change the subject then....What do you think of Finnish punk?
Fucking great, in Finland they have fucking great mangel-bands like KAAOS, TERVEET KADET and RIISTETYT [Note: also interviewed in this fanzine, a few pages before this interview].
What do you think of animal testing/eating meat and all that bollocks?
All animal testing is murder (that's right - ed. note).
Of course it is double standard to eat meat but if you have been raised to eat meat it is hard to break the pattern.
Punk only gets faster and rawer for every day that passes, what do you think this is because of?
Punk has always been an agressive musical style and all the mangel-bands are inspiring each other to play faster.
And finally, DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO ADD??????
Thanks to the Hedemora mangelbands ASOCIAL & DISTRUST, who let us play Bunkern at 10/3. (7)
(1) I.e. this is not an unusual question.
(2) Slang-term used here and therefore somewhat ambiguous or hard to translate - the direct translation is 'sunk' as in past sense 'the boat sunk'. The intended meaning is closer to 'fucked-up' (for whatever reason or reasons, which are obviously not mentioned). Trivia: the word "sänkt" in Swedish is also the same used by Protes Bengt "Bengt e sänkt".
(3) It is not stated specifically 'nuclear disarmament' and while you can use the term disarmament for many different types of weapons or forces, it is quite clear that what is meant is disarmament in relation to nuclear weaponry.
(4) Not sure who this is, could be real or it could be a joke.
(5) "B" = substandard.
(6) The word 'mangel' should be known to all fans of Mob 47 and Swedish hard core in general. The best translation would be 'thrash'. The answer to the question here can be directly translated as "mangel as iron" - in other words the Stockholm scene would be much better if the bands would do like Mob 47 and thrash like hell (as Swedish fans always scream at bands that play live: "play faster").
(7) Hedemora is a town slightly north of Stockholm, while Asocial are well-known, I can't remember a band called Distrust, Bunkern = The Bunker, a venue assumingly in Hedemora.